PREP: 10 MINUTES
COOK: 10 MINUTES
TOTAL: 20 MINUTES
Tofu, quickly seared and seasoned, is the “meat” of this hearty, comforting sandwich. Of course, actual bacon can be subbed in for the meat-eaters in the house!
FOR THE SMOKY SEARED TOFU:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14-ounce) block extra-firm tofu, cut in 1/4-inch slices (no need to drain)
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Tamari or low-sodium soy sauce* (for gluten-free choose a GF Tamari)
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
FOR THE SANDWICHES:
- 8 slices of your favorite crusty artisan bread, toasted (for gluten-free use your favorite GF sandwich bread)
- Smoky Seared Tofu
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 8 green leaf lettuce leaves, washed and dried (butter lettuce is another fabulous choice)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (vegans use a mayo alternative such as Vegenaise) - mix with chopped chipotles in ancho
- sliced avocado
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Set a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the olive oil. When the olive oil is hot, add the tofu along with a pinch of salt. The tofu will hiss and jump around a bit, so watch out! Cook, flipping occasionally, until golden brown on both sides, 8-10 minutes. While the tofu cooks, mix the Tamari, pure maple syrup, and smoked paprika in a small bowl. When the tofu is done, reduce the heat to low and pour the Tamari mix over the top. Cook, flipping occasionally, until the sauce has reduced and thickened, about 1 minute. Transfer the smoky seared tofu to a plate.
- Toast the bread then smear each piece with mayonnaise, as little or as much as you like – 2 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons or so. Top four pieces of bread with tomatoes; sprinkle with a touch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the tofu, then pile with the lettuce. Top with remaining slices of bread. Cut in half and serve.