Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chopped Vegetable Salad with Creamy Feta Vinaigrette


I read some salad dressing recipes recently and clipped a few to try. The preceding article pointed out that salad dressings are really easy to make, and bottled ones contain all sorts of unpronouncables. I made this feta vinaigrette to use a veggie dip, but it was too thin for that use. So today when I had only about half a cup of lettuce left, I chopped up all the vegetables I could find in the fridge, and gave it an official name!

Obviously you can use any vegetables, but I used finely chopped...
  • carrot
  • cucumber
  • Roma tomato
  • celery
  • red onion
  • broccoli
Season the vegetables with some herbs and spices. I used white pepper, salt, oregano, and garlic.


Now for the feta vinaigrette dressing:

3 ounces crumbled feta cheese (3/4 cup)
2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon water

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Kosher salt
and freshly ground pepper, to taste

In a food processor, pulse the crumbled feta with the red wine vinegar, water, oregano and olive oil until the vinaigrette is smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

I added in some croutons and shaved parmesan, too, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment