Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Avocado Fries

Today was a very eventful--and successful!--day in my kitchen, due to a number of reasons. It was my first day back from being out of town for about a week and a half, I needed to catch up on my recipe-a-day project, and I had absolutely nothing to eat until I loaded up on groceries this morning. Also, I was feeling motivated by my second cooking class, which I attended last night at Central Market. (I'll write about those soon.)

These avocado fries were just as amazing as you'd expect. I didn't keep the earlier ones in the oven while the others fried, and I should have, but still, fried avocados! Hard to imagine how that wouldn't taste great.

This was from myrecipes.com and was shown to me by my friend Seth. This one has earned a place in my LBC Hall of Fame!


2 firm-ripe medium avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
1 1/4 cups Panko breadcrumbs
canola oil
2 eggs, beaten in a bowl
1/4 cup flour

1. Preheat oven to 200°. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/2 in. oil until it registers 375° on a deep-fry thermometer.

2. Meanwhile, mix flour with 1/4 tsp. salt in a shallow plate. Put eggs and panko in separate shallow plates. Dip avocado in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, then panko to coat. Set on 2 plates in a single layer.

3. Fry a quarter of avocado slices at a time until deep golden, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer slices to a plate lined with paper towels. Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining avocados. Sprinkle with salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment