Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Basil Pesto


I know it doesn't look like much. Pesto in a bowl is not very visually appealing, but it is delicious on whatever you serve it! This recipe came from my friend Garret. Although I eat rather a lot of pesto, especially on paninis, it was my first time to make it rather than using store-bought. I'll be bringing this to lunch at my friend Stephanie's house tomorrow, where it will be used on Italian chicken paninis. (I hope my friends are ready for garlic, because I may have used a bit much.)

Here's the original recipe. You will need a food processor. (Mine is small, cheap, and old, but I chopped it in two batches.)

3 large garlic cloves
1/2 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup of coarsely grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese (2 ounces)*
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3-4 cups loosely packed fresh basil
2/3 cups extra virgin olive oil

Peel the garlic cloves. Here's an easy way: Place them one by one on the counter and put your knife blade sideways and flat against it. Mash the knife down with your palm and it will crack the clove. The skin will peel off easily after that.

Chop the garlic in the food processor. Then add nuts, cheese, salt, and pepper and process until finely chopped. Add the basil and do the same, then add in the olive oil and process until combined.

That's it! Use this sauce on pasta, paninis or other sandwiches, bruschetta, grilled chicken, or whatever.

*One more thing--long story short, I was going to double the recipe, then changed my mind. I forgot to change the quantity of the cheese, however, and put more like 4 ounces (1 1/3 cups) instead of 2. Doubling the cheese turned out to be a delicious "idea" (or mistake), and I'll do it next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment