Saturday, December 11, 2010

Chocolate Waffles and Strawberry Sauce

I got a new waffle iron, and this recipe was the best possible way to break it in! I combined a couple of ideas I saw on FoodNetwork.com--chocolate waffles and plain waffles with strawberry sauce. The combination was wonderful, and even better when I added cool whip on top.


These were also really quick. Counting my trip to the store, making the batter, and cooking two waffles (I saved the rest of the batter for later), it took me only an hour.

Alton Brown's recipe for Chocolate Waffles (makes about four 8-inch waffles):

1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 eggs, beaten
16 ounces buttermilk, room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup chocolate chips
cooking spray for waffle iron

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then add in vanilla, butter, and then buttermilk. When combined, add in chocolate chips and stir until evenly distributed. Spray the iron with cooking spray, then ladle it into a hot waffle iron and cook for 4-5 minutes.

For the Neelys' Strawberry Sauce (or my loose adaptation):

1 bag frozen strawberries, hulled, and sliced if you want (the recipe calls for a quart of fresh)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar

Cook in a saucepan until the strawberries are thawed, warm, and softened. Simmer until the mixture thickens slightly.

Top everything with Cool Whip or whipped cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment